Thursday, June 16, 2011

Proto-Georgia Nicholson



Louise Rennison's Georgia Nicholson series: often hilarious, charmingly British, and all-around awesome.1

And, it turns out, preempted by almost a century.

Which is not to imply in any way that Georgia was in any way copied from her American predecessor. This is just one of those awesome things you can find poking around Project Gutenberg.

Bab: A Sub-Deb is one of the several zillion2 Mary Roberts Rinehart books available from PG, and by the time I was halfway through, I realized that Bab was so totally what Georgia would have been if she'd been a not-quite-flapper in 1917 New York.

And it features its own version of Dave the Laugh.

Go, download a copy, and tell me I'm not the only one who sees the parallels.


1In small doses. There is a limit to how much Georgia one can read before reaching for the nearest David McCullough.

2 By which I mean somewhere between 20 and 30. Did you think I was actually going to count them?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SO grabbing this to check it out - thanks for the heads up!

Sarah Rettger said...

Things like this are why I'm glad I have an e-reader. Enjoy!

Anastasia @ Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog said...

Okay, this is awesome. Thanks for the tip!

Also, Mary Roberts Rinehart sounded REALLY familiar, so I Googled her and as it turns out she's also a mystery author! And a pretty neat lady all-around:
"Mary Roberts Rinehart (August 12, 1876-September 22, 1958) was an American writer, often called the American Agatha Christie. She is considered the source of the phrase "The butler did it", although she did not actually use the phrase. She is considered to have invented the "Had-I-But-Known" school of mystery writing. She also created a costumed supercriminal called "the Bat," who was cited by Bob Kane as one of the inspirations for his "Batman."" (from her Wikipedia page)

Also it turns out that I have one of her mysteries in my collection-- Miss Pinkerton: Adventures of a Nurse Detective. (MRR used to be a nurse!)

Basically I'm just really happy right now.

Sarah Rettger said...

Nurse Detective? I'm so there (having grown up on my share of Cherry Ames).

I don't think that one's made it onto Project Gutenberg yet, so I'm going to have to look for it.

I actually downloaded everything PG had from Rinehart, and I've been diving into it over the last couple weeks. Some I've had to give up on, but she does know how to write a mystery!

writing jobs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.